Love Your Liver
October 2009 Dr. Mom's Natural Solutions Ezine
It's Your Bodyguard in a Toxic World
- Interesting facts about the liver:
- The liver is the largest organ of the body.
- The liver affects nearly every physiological process of the body and performs over 500 different chemical functions.
- The liver filters over a liter of blood each minute.
- You probably don't think a lot about it, yet you can't live without it.
- You can't feel it working, yet it plays a central role in nearly all body functions.
- It's your body's "protector," and damage to it can result in serious, potentially life-threatening consequences.
- It's your liver, and even though your overall good health and vitality largely depends on it being healthy, you may not be doing all you can to help protect it.
The liver is the largest and most complex organ in the human body. It detoxifies the blood by filtering out the toxins -- air pollutants, pesticides, cigarette smoke, environmental chemicals, alcohol, and prescription and non-prescription drugs -- that assault your body on a regular basis. Environmental and chemical toxins are introduced into your bloodstream when you breathe, eat and drink, and even when you need medication. Your liver helps get rid of these toxins by changing them into products that are excreted through urine.
But this hard-working organ doesn't stop there. It also helps with hormonal balance, fat regulation and digestion.
Because of its heavy workload your liver can become over-burdened, causing it to malfunction. Although a malfunctioning liver is seldom painful, it can lead to a number of problems due to the accumulation of toxins that have not been removed from the body. Some signs that your liver may not be functioning properly include:
- Intolerance to greasy and spicy foods
- Weight gain
- Frequent headaches
- Chronic constipation
- Skin conditions, such as eczema, psoriasis or skin rashes
- Bowel problems
- Sinus and allergy problems
The good news is that the liver is the only organ that can regenerate itself and it does so every 6 weeks. This is truly our miracle organ! You can start today to take steps to protect your liver's health. One of the best supplements to protect the liver is Milk Thistle. This wonderful herb has helped people heal from just about every liver ailment imaginable, including hepatitis, elevated liver enzymes, jauntice etc. One of my favorite supplements is Chinese Liver Balance which is great for a "hot" liver expressing itself in anger, irritability and opposition to everything. If you think or know you have a liver issue I encourage you to try either of these supplements or seek out a Natural Health Practitioner. The liver is our great detoxifier and your health is at major risk if it is not working properly.